Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Smith Family Reunion

Hello all.....I am back again. I have been so busy over the last 3 1/2 months with starting a new job, PTA President, and total involvement in my kids schooling that blogging was left behind. I will be posting a bunch of make up post from the summer. This is so I can include them in my book. So it may be a while until recent blogs are posted.
I had the most fun I have ever had at a family reunion in my life. I was so thrilled to see how GREAT all the cousins got along. Not only did the little kids get along, so did the big kids. You know my brother and sisters. That is the most amazing part. I don't remember any big or really even little moments of contention. Don't get me wrong, kids will be kids, but they would get over their issues and move on. We as adults can learn a lot from our little ones.
My family was so excited for all the cousins to come we could hardly stand it. And we were crazy with excitement for Grammy and Papa. They came early, with Tim and Cameron. It was so great to have them all to ourselves for a few days. Eventhough my kids only see Grammy and Papa a couple times a year there is an amazing bond.
Tim brought Cameron's little four wheeler. Was that ever the hit. Good thing I didn't have neighbors yet cuz the kids would drive the streets and just honk and honk the horn.



It was funny the time line that everyone arrived in. We had the crazy duo from Mesa, Mindy and Heidi, drive all night to get there by 5:00 in the am. Bruce had a little trouble keeping his eyes open and began to drift into another lane. Heidi yelled his name and that kept his heart pumping hard for the rest of the trip. Poor Kim thought she was going to be the 1st to arrive and she actually ended up being the last.
Since everyone was there a day before we were going up the mountain, the kids just played at our house. We set up the slide and that entertained everyone for hours. The four-wheelers were also a big hit. We had our 2 four wheelers and then we borrowed Dayna's, Kyle's and Korey's 2. So we had 6 total. I don't think those had ever been driven as much as they were during those 4 days.
We were then off to the mountain. We were staying at the old Navajo cabin. We also had my trailer for space. Poor Mom and Dad slept on an air mattress on the deck and then in the family room. Guess that's what happens when you don't have any young kids. I really do feel bad about their sleeping situation. My trailer was the sleepover spot. We would have different kids each night. On our final night we had 8 kids in there. It was amazing how great they all slept. Once it was lights out.....they were out. I guess running around all day will do that to you.
The fun was just non stop each day. We had a day of shooting.


They all took their turns shooting empty soda cans. Tyler and Tim manned target practice.
We played golf frisbee......the pictures will be added later. Thanks Bruce and Tommie for directing the game.
Little Mason didn't get to join either of those activities, he had to hang out with the adults. But I was able to get an adorable picture of that squisshy boy.

Don't you just want to eat him up??

Down at this little pond the kids were catching horny toads. This is one of Kaylee's most favorite things to do. I always feel so bad for the poor toad, because Kaylee thinks it is her child and carts it with her everywhere she goes.




This picture isn't of anything in particular....just made me think of Little House on the Prairie. Thanks Aunt Mimi for the cute french braids.

Grammy was the big hit, of course. She had made up a treasure hunt for the kids. They loved running or riding the 4 wheelers from place to place in such of the loot. Thanks Grammy for the memories.

The end of the reunion ended with a little panic. Justin had hurt Tori's arm on a 4 wheeler ride. When he does something wrong, or hurts someone he tends to get upset and can't express his feelings. By the time I had gotten back from the ride he had run off. So I went in search for him. I started with the trailer because he was seen running that way. After searching the trailer there was no Justin. So we began calling for him. This went on for quite some time, still no answer. The whole family began searching. We were yelling his name and walking the whole north side of the property. Tyler and I became very worried because it was getting dark. We made our way back down to the cabin. I got there just in time to hear the final bit of the family prayer. I remember Mindy saying, "let him know he is not in trouble if he is hiding, and that we love him." That sent me off into tears. I jumped on the four wheeler and decided to drive the north property line with the road. I was crying and calling out for Justin. I was terrified because now it was dark. I knew if I made it back to the cabin with no Justin I was going to call the search and rescue folks. On my way back, Travis or Bruce, I can't remember which one, met up with me and told me they had found Justin. What a relief. When I saw him I just bawled. I had been so scared of losing my little boy. He, Tyler, and I spent the next few minutes hugging and crying. What a happy ending. I was told that Dad found him in the trailer underneath the table that had been made up into a bed. I didn't even think to look there as I didn't think a child could fit under there. What a blessing that he wasn't really lost, but just hiding.
The next morning everyone headed out. We stayed behind to finish up a little cleaning. We were all packed and ready to go and.......the truck wouldn't start. We tried for quite some time. Still no luck. So I hopped on a 4 wheeler and went looking for someone to jump us. I found someone but that still didn't fix the problem. Poor Tyler had to ride the 4 wheeler all the way to Duck Creek to make a phone call. That is a good 20 minute ride away. And to top it off, it was raining. Tyler was finally able to contact Darcy, who called Brent to come and rescue us. Brent somehow knew how to jimmy rig the engine to work. I've never loved the sound of diesel more than at that moment. We made it home by about 5:00 pm.


2 comments:

Cossebooms said...

YEAH!!! You are alive!! The reunion was such a FUN trip for everyone! Bruce loved the 4-wheeler experience. Thanks for having us. It was good to see you at Heather's shower. And look forward to seeing you in late December. Keep the posts coming.

Carter Family said...

Welcome back!