Sunday, April 6, 2008

Kody's Jamboree


After returning from Arizona I was quickly back to work. I had volunteered to help run a rummage sale for a boy struggling with cancer. I didn't really realize what I had gotten myself into. On Thursday night, Tyler and I emptied 1 1/2 storage units of donated items into our truck and a snow mobile trailer. We were now ready for Friday, so we could start sorting and arranging.
This task was completely overwhelming. The donated items just kept coming and coming. We couldn't sort fast enough. I had made signs indicating where groupings of items would go. There were at least 50 volunteers there. Some were our muscle who just unloaded all the storage units. Others sorted through all the bags. At some points, I just wanted to give up, but a little boy was counting on us.
I will never forget the name of Stella. This lady, who I found out later, was in Kody's ward. She was a clothes sorting fool. She never gave up and continued all night. We sorted from 3:00-10:30.
The community really pulled through for Kody. The whole entire high school gym was full. Both sides of the bleachers were pulled out to use as our display areas. Outside was the furniture section. I have NEVER seen a sale like this and I have been to many rummage/garage sales.
By 3:30 on Saturday, I was exhausted. I felt guilty for leaving but I couldn't keep my eyes open. I went home and straight to bed for 2 hours. After all was said and done, the rummage sale raised $6800. Way to go Cedar City.
My family, Tyler, Justin, Kaylee, and Courtney are the best. Here I volunteer myself to help and it turned into a family affair. The kids were so cute as they carried clothes out of the storage unit and into the trailer. They really helped. The stuck through hours of sorting with us. Then the next day they were all back again. I love my little family!!
I had a great time talking with my children about what we were doing. Letting them know that a little boy was sick and needed our help. Dear little Courtney was so cute. She asked me after the rummage sale, is "that boy" feeling better now. I told her hopefully soon he would be.
It was a blessing to me to be able to serve. I've been watching Oprah's Big Give. I don't have $ to give, but I can give of myself. One of the contestants said, "The best thing you can give is to give of yourself." I truly belive this and hope to have more opportunities in the future.
Soon I hope to have a picture to post. So keep your eye out.

3 comments:

Cossebooms said...

Wow, what a great opportunity. Service is great! Sounds like you did a lot of work for a great cause and had a successful ending. Way to go!

Carter Family said...

Wow that is awesome. I am sure that it made you feel so good after. It's amazing that when people come together for a great cause that the blessings just seem to pour out. So are you ready for another sale?

kyla said...

That is so neat that you would give of your time like that. It makes you feel so good when you give to others it really does. It sounds like the jamboree was a huge success. We were out of town we were sorry we didn't get to go.