Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Baseball and Ice Cream

Justin's team had another game yesterday. At first, I thought it was going to be miserable because the wind had been crazy ALL day. We were so lucky that it stopped for the game. I missed the first 2 innings because it was my night to cook for the dinner group. After scurrying around like a mad woman, I finally made it there. Justin's team was up by 3 points. What??? I was stunned. We ususally are down 5 after the 1st inning. And then it's too hard to catch up. So things were looking promising.

Justin was up to bat about 10 minutes after I got there. Swing-strike, Swing-BANG!!!!! The ball took off out to right field. The player couldn't catch it. So Mom is standing cheering!!! Go Justin Go!! He got a double out of it. And hit 2 runs in. I was so thrilled for him.

The game became a nail biter (that is if you are competitive like me). The score is 11 for us and 7 for them. Dang, we needed to be up by at least 5 because there is a 5 run per inning rule. We have our last ups at bat. No one is out and runners are at 3rd and 2nd (Justin is at 2nd). So I was excited to see that most likely we'd score a run. Batter strikes out. Next batter is up and a wild pitch passes the catcher. The runner at 3rd goes and then hesitates and then goes. Yep, you guessed it, out at home. Now it's 2 outs---how in the heck did that happen so fast??? Batter strikes out.

Now the other team gets their last ups. They score 3 runs. Oh this is almost more than I can take. We are only up by one. There is a runner on 2nd and the batter hits the ball, we got him out at 1st!! Yippee!!!! Our second win of the season. The boys were so excited that they ran the bases to celebrate. But wait, it gets even better. The boys think they get an ice cream if they win. So Mom takes the team out for ice cream. We went to Brad's (our sponsor) for the ice cream celebration.

I don't know who likes sports more, me or the kids!!

4 comments:

kyla said...

I love watching the kids get into the games is't fun. What is your dinner group I have heard you mention it several times. just curious?

Hillyard Family said...

There are 4 of us and we each cook a night for the whole group. So I cook on Tuesday for all 4 families...and then I don't cook anymore that week. It's great for time saving, better meals, and better on the budget. Are you interested in being in one??

Hillyard Family said...

There are 4 of us and we each cook a night for the whole group. So I cook on Tuesday for all 4 families...and then I don't cook anymore that week. It's great for time saving, better meals, and better on the budget. Are you interested in being in one??

kyla said...

I would love to do the dinner group wow would that save me time. But my husband it soooo picky he is the hardest person ever to cook for. He does not eat like a normal person so I am afraid he would cry like a little baby if someone cooked something that he didn't like.